Why You Need Cow Mats
Recent studies by veterinary surgeons have made the case for cow mats. Consider the following:
- When a cow lies down, she supports 80% of her weight on a tripod formed by two knees and a hock.
- In the act of lying down, a cow 'free-falls' about fifteen inches.
- Outdoors, nature provides the cow with a soft cushion or turf. When she gets up, the hollows visible in the ground illustrate the pressure imposed on knees and back.
- In the comfort of the field, a cow will spend half her day lying down.
- Concrete cubicle beds, simply sprinkled with a thin layer of litter, provide only a hard and often unkind surface.
- The pressure caused by the hardness of a concrete bed restricts circulation, causing swollen knees, hock lesions and consequent lameness.
- Discomfort on concrete induces stress and limits lying time.
- Cow mats promote the health of livestock and result in increased milk yields, usually covering their costs.
Why Farmat Cow Mats Are Better
With two types of Farmat to choose from, it couldn't be easier to protect your cows from hard concrete.
Farmat cow mats will give you
- A 10-year guarantee!
- Reduced labour and bedding costs.
- An enviromentally sensitive alternative to conventional bedding.
- A herd producing higher yields.
- Suitability for every type of cubicle.
- Less hock and teat damage – fewer solar ulcers.
- Better hygiene and easier cleaning.
- Part of a complete slurry system that pays for itself.